Altered Art Journal Page 1
Well I finally did it, I started an art journal. But let me tell ya it was not an easy start. I started out with one page, really didn’t like the bold colors because let’s face it, I’m not a bold color kinda gal, so I then thought I would tone it down a bit, then I really didn’t like it and had to step away from the table because I could feel some major frustration coming on. This is when I decided I would try to make some DIY lip gloss, so I did. It was super fast, easy and I really like it.
DIY Lip Gloss Recipe
All you need is 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1/4 teaspoon of Vaseline and 5 drops of Peppermint essential oil or the essential oil of your choice. This amount made enough lip gloss to fill three small slide top tins. I placed the coconut oil and Vaseline into a microwave safe bowl, melted the coconut oil and Vaseline in the microwave for 45 seconds, stirred the now liquid oils, added 5 drops of peppermint essential oil, stirred the mixture, poured the mixture into the tins and let cool and solidify. BAM, I had lip gloss just like that. The next time I make this I will add more Peppermint essential oil to give it a bolder peppermint kick. It is pepperminty just not as strong as I would like.
After my lip gloss making I decided to head back into the studio and rethink this art journal page, the thought I came up with was to throw it away and start over, which is exactly what I did. So this page is now no more.
If you like this page all I did was cover a watercolor page in my art journal with a piece of paper from the Tim Holtz kraft paper stash – kraft resist pad. I painted around the image of the lady using black acrylic paint, painted over her dress, hair and hat with acrylic paints, accented the image with Diamond Stickles, pearls, rhinestones and a vintage applique. Using a glue stick I attached some die cut doilies cut from dictionary pages, then added the quote I cut from my Starbucks coffee insulator. To give the quote strips a bit more zip I applied Diamond Glaze to the top of each one.
So this page is now the page you see below and I like the feel of this a lot more. I’m just not a bold color kinda gal at all.
To make this page I covered the previous fiasco with several layers of dress pattern tissue paper, using my sewing machine and a straight stitch I secured the dress pattern in place. Using fabric adhesive I attached a piece of burlap that is 5″ x 8″ on top of the dress pattern. This adds some really nice texture.
Next I cut 15 randomly yet close in size, approximately 1.5″ squares out of cream colored felt. I cut approximate 1 1/8 inch squares from vintage postcards, punched 15 starburst circles from a dress pattern that I folded so each circle would have 4 layers as I punched each circle. I then took my sewing needle and 3 strands of cream embroidery floss and attached a button to each decorative square. 1 decorative square contains a layer of felt, postcard, dress pattern circles and button. I trimmed the edges randomly on the felt portion of the squares with zigzag scissors. Using fabric adhesive I attached each decorative square as shown.
The journaling strip is made from a piece of vintage postcard that is machine sewn to the page using a straight stitch. I stamped the saying, “stay true to yourself always” using small wooden stamps and Jet Black Archival Ink. This postcard stip measures 7/8″ x 5.25″.
To complete my page I added a vintage millinery pick and a seam binding bow.
Once I finished this page I started thinking about making a Peppermint lip scrub. I’ll share the recipe once I give it a try.