Lots of fun stuff today…
The winner is … Judi Lindgren with her Comment: OMGYGTBK! This is a BFD – I’ve definitely got my FC! I had to research all those text words. . .I don’t even own one of those fancy phones or thing-a-ma-gings you text with! Got a really cute grandson that does tho(to young for a 16 year old I fear). I really want this- really, really! I would be SETE. Your Mom’s site is OTT!
Congratulations, Judi. Email me your address and I will get your book in the mail. I will have you set up and ready to create in the workshop, today.
And since many of you who commented already have my book I decided to give away an additional Free Access Pass to one of you as well.
So Congratulations to… Sandra Doherty Comment: I just bought Delight in The Details. My friend have it and its LEGIT!! so I had to get one for myself. I would love to win the giveaway, I know I could find someone who would love the book as much as I do, and attending the workshop would be the best..
Sandra, I will have you set up and ready to create in the workshop, today as well. Enjoy!
Now on to the tutorial for the gift card holder/ornament I created using the December Cocoa Daisy “Winter Magpie” and “Patterned Paper Add On Kits. The kits go on sale today.
Kit Supplies Used: From “Winter Magpie” Cocoa Daisy December Kit: 1 – page from the My Mind’s Eye Chipboard Album, Seam Binding from Album, Albums tag used as the name tag template – From “Patterned Paper Add On”: Pink Paislee Parisian Elements Patterned Paper
Additional Supplies: White Crepe Paper Streamer, Maya Road Chipboard Snowflake Set, Maya Road Dangling Chandelier Bead, Maya Road Pure White Pigment Inkpad, Platinum Stickles, Cream Self Adhesive Pearls – 5mm, Cream Embroidery Floss #543, Glossy Accents, Liquid Adhesive (Aleene’s Quick Dry is awesome), Fabri-Tac, 2 – 1/8″ Silver Eyelet, 3 – Silver Jump Rings, Brown & White Baker’s Twine, Creamy Brown Ink
Tools Needed: Pencil, Scissors – Straight Edge, Pinking (Zigzag), Scallop, Paper Trimmer, Crop-a-Dile, Sewing Needle, Pliers, Sewing Machine (optional)
- Using a pencil trace one chipboard album page onto patterned paper.
- Using scallop scissors cut out the triangle shape drawn onto the patterned paper, making sure the scallop scissors stay just above the pencil line. This way you will have a slight scallop edge hanging off of the edge of the chipboard page.
- Ink the edges of the cut out triangle using Creamy Brown ink.
- Using a sewing machine (optional) and cream thread, stitch a straight stitch all along the very inside edge of the triangle shape. Stitch a zigzag stitch where the different pattern designs meet on the patterned paper.
- Using a paper trimmer cut the top of the triangle piece so when attached to the chipboard album page it is 1.25″ shorter than the chipboard album page.
- Using Platinum Stickles accent the scallop edges on the patterned paper and the scallops and 1.25″ upper side edges of the chipboard album page, let dry.
- Cut a piece of White Crepe Paper Streamer to 12″ in length. Thread a sewing needle with 3 strands of cream embroidery floss. Starting at one end stitch a gathered stitch up the middle of the Crepe Paper piece all the way to the opposite end.
- Using Scallop scissors trim length wise the top edge of the gathered Crepe Paper. Space gathers so the Crepe Paper will go all the way across the top of your patterned paper piece.
- Using a strong liquid adhesive attach the gathered Crepe Paper piece to the top of the triangle patterned paper piece.
- Attach a strip of 5mm self adhesive pearls along the gathered stitching.
- Using Platinum Stickles Accent the top and bottom edge of the gathered Crepe Paper, let dry.
- Cut 2 pieces of White Crepe Paper to 12″ in length. Thread a sewing needle with 3 strands of cream embroidery floss, at one end begin stitching a gathered stitch on the right edge of the Crepe Paper strip, continue gathering until you get to the opposite end. Tightly tie the two thread ends together to create your Crepe Paper rosette. Using Pinking (Zigzag) scissors trim the edge of the Crepe Paper rosette so it measures 3″ in diameter. Accent the edges of the rosette with Platinum Stickles, let dry.
- Repeat the same step as above but this time trim the Crepe Paper rosette to 2.5″ in diameter. Accent the edges of the rosette with Platinum Stickles, let dry.
- Ink two Maya Road Snowflakes (1 small and 1 large) using Pure White Ink, apply Glossy Accents to the top of each snowflake and apply Mica. Using Tweezers move the Mica around so that it is not hanging off the edges of the snowflakes, let dry. Once dry accent the edges of each snowflake with Platinum Stickles, let dry.
- Cut a piece of the blue seam binding that comes with the chipboard album to approximately 8″ in length, tie a bow and attach a 5mm self adhesive pearl to the bows center.
- Glue the smaller Crepe Paper rosette on top of the larger rosette, glue the larger snowflake on top of the smaller Crepe Paper rosette, glue the smaller snowflake on top of the larger snowflake, now attach the seam binding bow to the center of the smaller snowflake, let dry.
- Cut two pieces of the blue seam binding to approximately 3″. Cut the ends that will show at an angle. Attach the ribbons to the patterned paper triangle so that the tips of the ribbons are approximately 1″ from the bottom of the triangle patterned paper piece. Now attach your Crepe Paper rosette to the center of the triangle patterned paper piece, let dry.
- Using a strong liquid adhesive attach the altered patterned paper piece to the chipboard album page making sure to leave just enough space for the gift card to stick out.
Note: I applied glue to the left and right sides then placed a strip of liquid adhesive approximately 1.5″ from the top of the patterned paper piece. This way the card will not go down below the paper line and get stuck. After making this holder/ornament you don’t want them to have to tear up your project trying to get their gift card.
- Cut a piece of seam binding to approximately 13″ in length and attach through the chipboard album holes. I placed the ends of the seam binding through each hole, slightly pulled them through each hole, folded the cut end up then using Fabri-Tac attached the cut ends to the backs of each seam binding strip.
- Using the tag from the chipboard album as a template trace the tag onto patterned paper, cut out, ink edges with Creamy Brown ink, attach a silver eyelet then accent the edges using Platinum Stickles, let dry.
- Attach the tag to the seam binding hanger with Brown & White Baker’s Twine.
- Using a Crop-a-Dile punch a 1/8″ hole at the bottom point of the triangle, attach silver eyelet.
- Using pliers attach 3 jump rings to each other, attach one end through the eyelet then attach a Chandelier Bead to the other end.
There ya go… you just created a gorgeous gift card holder and it’s lucky recipient has two gifts in one… their fun gift card and an ornament to display year after year! If you hung in here this long as this has got to be one of the LONGEST blog posts I have ever posted leave a comment and you will have a chance to win your very own Cocoa Daisy “Winter Magpie” kit.
I love having giveaways! So so so much fun!!! Good luck.