Altered Cabinet Card
My “A Very Vintage Christmas” workshop starts today so in its honor I figured I would have a very vintage project. I found this old cabinet card placed between some very old Christmas cards that have been in the family for nearly 60 years. No one recognized these two young ladies and there was no name on the back so I decided to make their photo into a permanent holiday ornament to enjoy each year. These ladies seemed to be in such a gaze that I decided to have them looking out a window, maybe at the newly fallen snow or eagerly anticipating the arrival of a welcomed holiday guest. Which ever it may be, I’m pretty happy with how this came out and certainly see a new addiction in my future. If you would like to create one for yourself below you will find the instructions. The process is pretty simple, just a bit time consuming but nothing you can’t do.
- Using a strong pair of scalloped scissors, trim the top and both sides of your cabinet card. Note: I did not cut edge to edge I left about a 1/4 inch on each end.
- Using a crop-a-dile punch two holes at the top and bottom of the cabinet card then set four gold eyelets. The holes on the top will be for the seam binding hanger the holes on the bottom will be used to attach a strip from a vintage postcard.
- Apply Golden Rod Stickles to the scalloped edges and apply Gold German Glass Glitter on top, tap of excess and let dry.
- Cut a piece of vintage sheet music to cover the image portion of your cabinet card to approximately 2.75″ x 4.25″ (Note: these measurements may differ depending on the size of your cabinet card), cut out the center so the photo shows through. Using scallop scissors trim the top portion of the sheet music, accent the scalloped top and edges using Golden Rod Stickles, apply Gold German Glass Glitter, tap off excess and let dry.
- Using alcohol inks in Gold, Bottle and Latte apply over the top of a Dresden Archway; accent Archway using Diamond Stickles, let dry. Accent Archway using Golden Rod Stickles and Gold German Glass Glitter, tap off excess and let dry.
- Now that all the glitter is dry begin layering your vintage sheet music and Dresden Archway onto your cabinet card. I use Aleene’s Paper Glaze when attaching the vintage sheet music and a strong clear drying liquid adhesive for the Dresden Archway. Let dry.
- Bleach two 2.5″ bottle brush trees (I mix 2 parts water and 1 part bleach) pat dry off and let air dry completely. Once the tress are dry apply a clear drying liquid adhesive to the sides and front then roll them in Old Fashioned Mica Snowflakes, let dry
- Draw 2 stars onto a piece of chipboard, cut it out, paint it gold and apply Gold German Glass Glitter, let dry. Once the stars are dry attach them to the top of each bleached bottle brush tree. Trim the bottom portions of the trees bristles so that they will attach as flat as possible to the cabinet card.
- Cut a piece of a vintage postcard to approximately 7/8″ x 3 3/8″ (Note: these measurements may differ depending on the size of your cabinet card), punch two holes in the same area as the two bottom holes punched in the cabinet card, set 2 gold eyelets.
- Connect the cabinet card and the vintage postcard piece using red and white baker’s twine.
- Using a strong liquid adhesive attach the vintage holiday items as shown in the photo above to the bottom section of the cabinet card. Create two small bows from red embroidery floss and attach one on top of the single candy cane and one on top of the cluster of three candy canes.
- Using a clear drying adhesive attach a piece of Dresden Border Trim to the bottom section of the vintage postcard.
- Cut a piece of red seam binding and thread through the top two eyelets on the cabinet card and double knot the ends together.
Supplies Used: Vintage Cabinet Card, Vintage Postcard, Vintage Sheet Music, Vintage Reindeer, Flocked Santa, Vintage Small Twine/Wire Candy Canes, Vintage Holiday Sticker, Holly Leaves and Berries, Dresden Trim Border #217, Gold German Glass Glitter, Clear Glass Glitter, Iridescent Glitter, Old Fashioned Mica Snow Flakes, Latte - Gold - Bottle Alcohol Inks, Diamond and Golden Rod Stickles, 2.5″ Bottle Brush Trees, Adirondack Metallics Acrylic Paint Dabber – Gold, Collaage Pauge Instant Decoupage – Matte, Red Seam Binding, Red and White Baker’s Twine, Gold Eyelets, Dresden Archway, Tiny Gold Jingle Bell, Mica Tile, Red Embroidery Floss,